Makes 4 quarts (32oz Mason jars)
- 16 carrots, peeled and cut into four sticks each
- 10 jalapeño peppers with top removed, quartered, leave the seeds
- 1 quart flat beans, ends trimmed
- 1 quart string beans, ends trimmed
- 3 heads of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, washed twice in water bath to remove sand
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup salt
- 32 oz white vinegar
- 4 32 oz Mason jars, sanitized in boiling water*
In a 4 qt. or large stockpot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Drop the carrots in the boiling water and simmer at medium heat for 1 minute. Add flat beans, string beans, and jalapeños. Stir and boil for 2 minutes.
Remove vegetables and shock in ice water, set aside.
In a 4 qt. saucepan bring 1 cup water to a boil; add salt and sugar while stirring well. Then add garlic and vinegar.
Fill the jars with the carrots and beans; be sure to evenly distribute the jalapeños into all 4 jars. Tuck small bunches of the cilantro in between the vegetables. Add the garlic and then pour the remaining water/vinegar pickling solution over the top.
Now screw the canning tops on and tighten. Label and refrigerate.
*Sanitizing Mason Jars:
Fill Mason jars with water and place standing up in large pot. Cover with water at least one inch above the jars. Bring to a boil, remove after a few minutes individually and drain well. Fill while the jars are still hot.