Ingredients and preparation:
- 1 30lb goat, butcher into large pieces, legs, ribs, back portions, bones in.
Season heavily with salt & black pepper and sear over high heat 10 min per side
Combine in a 50 gallon pot:
- 4 Spanish onions, chopped
- 1 head of celery, chopped
- 2 cups garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 limes, peeled and cut in half
- 12 arbol chili’s
- 18 guajillo chili’s, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 6 sticks of cinnamon
- 1 cup Mexican oregano (dry)
Stir on stove top over medium heat until soft. Add all seared goat & move pot to the fire.
- Add 1/2 gallon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 gallon chopped canned tomato
- 1/2 gallon chicken stock
Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook in fire until coals burn down (about 3 hours).
Remove from heat and separate the meat from the rest. Strain stock. Separate all cinnamon sticks and lime pieces from the solids.
For Chili Colorado sauce:
Place all solids in a blender and run until smooth, add stock as needed. Set aside and cool.
Remove as many bones as possible while still warm and rest the meat in large pieces in the remaining stock, in the refrigerator over night.
To prepare for tacos:
Remove the meat from stock and chop into pieces, then warm in the stock on a low flame.
Serve on corn tortillas with chopped onions, cilantro and the chili Colorado, warm in a cup on the side.