This recipe makes 10 sandwiches
- 4 lbs pork shoulder, boneless
- 1/2 cup chipotle in adobo sauce
- 3 guajillo chilis, stems removed, chopped
- 3 jalapeño chilis, stems and seeds removed, chopped
- 2 cups mirepoix (celery, onion & carrots in equal parts diced)
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt & pepper
For the Multi colored slaw:
- 1 cabbage (small green, sliced thin)
- 1/2 head of red cabbage (sliced thin)
- 1 red pepper (sliced thin)
- 2 red onions (small, sliced thin)
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
Combine all in a bowl an allow to stand for an hour prior to service.
Sear the pork shoulder in 1/2 cup vegetable oil until crisp on the edges, 3 minutes per side over medium heat.
Place all other ingredients in a braising pan. Transfer the pork to the pan and wrap in foil.
Place the braising pan in a 350°F oven for 3 hours.
Remove and allow to cool for 2 hours uncovered.
Remove the pork from the pan and slice into 1 inch pieces. Puree all remaining vegetables, stock and chilis place the slices back into the pan and cover with foil.
Refrigerate over night.
When ready to serve, return the covered pan to the oven to heat through at 350°F (about 1/2 an hour).
Serve on toasted rolls with a multi colored slaw.