Recipe by chef Megan Huylo of Amber Waves Farm Kitchen in Amagansett
Woodfire Roasted Beets w/ baby fennel, fresh currants, golden raisins & yogurt
- 6 medium red beets, ends trimmed
- 4 lemons, zested & juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, whipped with a fork
- 2 baby fennel, thinly sliced & fronds reserved
- ¼ cup fresh red currants
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped, toasted walnuts
1. Heat oven to 425°F. Place trimmed beets in a baking dish and fill with ½ inch of water.
2. Cover in foil & roast (regular oven or wood burning) about 45 minutes until fork tender.
3. Whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, salt & olive oil.
4. After the beets have been removed from the oven and cooled, peel the skin and cut into 1/8. Now, toss in the lemon dressing and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
5. To serve, spread the whipped Greek yogurt on a plate and place the marinated beets on top, sprinkle the rest of the ingredients over the beets. Finally drizzle a tablespoon of dressing on the yogurt on each plate.