For the Filling:
- 4 cups roasted chicken: roast a 4lb bird, allow to cook and remove all meat, combine white and dark meat
- 2 cups mirpoix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 cups boiled potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 pound frozen peas
- Salt & pepper
Start with the mirpoix and butter in a large skillet over medium flame. When the onions soften add flour and stir, then follow with chicken stock, stir and simmer until it begins thickening. Now add the rest of the ingredients, stir and season to taste.
For the Cornbread Crust:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup roasted sweet corn kernels
- 3 oz agave syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups milk
Combine all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk all wet ingredients including the corn. Combine wet and dry and pour everything over the hot chicken filling in a casserole.
Bake in pre-heated 350°F oven for 30 – 35 minutes.
Serve hot at the table with strawberry preserves and butter.