Adapted from chef Jacob Dibble’s recipe
Lakeside Lodge, Island Park, Idaho
This dish can be served to 4 people as a main, single course. It can also be used with other smaller courses and be cut in half to serve 8 or more as a supporting dish.
- 4 Bison tenderloin (filets) 6-8 oz each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon of cracked black pepper
Toss cleaned filets in a bowl with the salt, pepper and oil, set aside.
For Blueberry/ricotta cheese stuffing:
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup Boursin© cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ tablespoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
Blend until smooth, transfer to a piping bag, rest for 2 hours.
For Dijon compound butter:
- ¼ cup Dijon grain mustard
- 1 lb. unsalted butter, room temperature
Blend with fork. Roll in wax paper and chill. Slice to serve on top of meat.
For the Vegetables:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon, salt and pepper mixed
- 1 teaspoon, red chili flakes
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, cut into quarters
Toss all in a bowl.
8 slices applewood smoked bacon, chopped
Prior to cooking slice a hole in the side of each filet and force the stuffing into each piece by squeezing it into the filet with the piping bag.
Starting in a large, hot, dry skillet, add the bison. Allow to cook for 2 minutes on each of the 4 sides of the filets, turning to brown all sides. Remove from pan and let rest.
Add the onions, mushrooms and bacon to the skillet, stir often, push to one side of the skillet. After 5 minutes add the rest of the vegetables to the empty side of the skillet and continue stirring. When the zucchini and peppers begin to soft, you’re ready to serve.
Start by slicing each filet. Plate the vegetables, top with filet and a slice of compound butter; lastly spoon the mushrooms and the bacon over the top.
Visit the AmericanRiversTour.com for more recipes like this!